Sunday, February 17, 2008

Images


I guess I'm not a very visually oriented person. Flickr's alright I guess, but I've just never been much of a photo freak. I think of Flikr as an online repository of images for use in more textual contexts. Like blogs and web pages. Flickr seems to hang text on the pictures as tags and comments like conversation around a stack of snapshots. I'm inclined to use pictures as illustrations of or backgrounds to text. I hold the same prejudices with respect to webless library collections. Books and journals are what libraries are REALLY all about. The graphics, audio and video materials are just window dressing.

But if you're going to create a collection of visual images there ought to be a more visual way of organizing access to the individual images. Some sort of tree or something. It was interesting to do a search for Monk's Mound pictures and then run the slide show. What was that strawberry cake all about?

No comments: